Unlock! Mystery Adventure
- Players: 1-6
- Playing Time: 60 Mins
- Age: 10+
- Mechanisms: Cooperative Play, Storytelling
- Designer: Arnaud Ladagnous, Fabrice Mazza, Sébastien Pauchon, Billy Stevenson
- Contents: 1 Rulebook, Tutorial (10 cards), 3 Adventures (186 cards)
Unlock! Mystery Adventures is a cooperative card game inspired by escape rooms that uses a simple system which allows you to search scenes, combine objects, and solve riddles. Play Unlock! to embark on great adventures, while seated at a table using only cards and a companion app that can provide clues, check codes, monitor time remaining, etc. The three scenarios are...
- The House on the Hill: What's going on in this run-down manor? Explore the sinister pieces and foil the curse that haunts this desolate place. Designed by Fabrice Mazza, illustrated by Pierre Santamaria.
- The Nautilus' Traps: Attacked by a sea monster during a dive, you seek shelter by opening a hatch in an old submarine. Find a way back to the surface! Designed by Arnaud Ladagnous, illustrated by Florian de Gesincourt.
- The Tonipal's Treasure: Captain Smith hid his treasure on Tonipal Island. Unravel the mystery before Johnson, another treasure hunter, beats you to it! Designed by Billy Stevenson & Sebastien Pauchon, illustrated by Sergo.
An included ten-card tutorial allows you to learn how to play without reading the game rules.
Note: Unlock! requires a free application to be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. Once downloaded, an internet connection is not required during game play.
This adventure game series represents excellent value for money as you get 3 adventures per box. Unlike other adventure games; you can reset these, so whilst they don't have any replay value for your gaming group; you could lend the box out to others or sell it on once finished.
The game comes with 3 unlock type adventures in card format, plus a tutorial adventure which covers the basics. There is an app you need to install and run on a tablet (Android/IPad) or phone. Each adventure increases in difficulty and I think are suitable for the age range specified (10+). Upon saying that the puzzles vary in difficulty and so it would be a good game to play as a family with a range of ages, rather than a game for children (or just adults).
One thing I probably didn't enjoy about the game is the "hidden" numbers on the cards. They can be nearly impossible to see under anything other than perfect lighting. Get your mobile phone torches out and examine them cards carefully, if the card doesn't appear to have a use, look closely for a number!. I guess this is ideal for team members who do not enjoy the puzzles too much , playing hunt the number on the cards.
Each adventure lasts about 60mins; however you can carry on past the timer to complete it (it's not like a hard timer). The 2nd adventure that was underwater was cool as we only had 20mins and had to keep finding air to top up our air tanks (giving us more time). Cool mechanic, especially when we were about to run out and someone spotted some oxygen and got us another 20mins of time..
Anyways, Highly recommend, will be buying and playing more in this series...